Menstruation is something essential in a female’s life. It starts in the initial months of adolescence ( age 12-15 years) and ends at old age( 42-49 years).
This phase brings a lot of changes to a female’s body. She experiences further developments in her life in these years, from menarche to menopause. Hormonal changes are at their peak during this time, and it is the reason which leads to other developments in body parts.
Menstruation is like a doorway to the reproductive capability of a woman. Her reproductive health is essential to her, and it should not be disturbed anyhow.
Different females have remarkably different experiences with menstruation. Generally, the menstrual cycle lasts about 28-30 days, but it is not normal for every girl. Many girls have also registered pain and severe cramps during menstruation days. Also, many women say that there is a sort of delay and irregularity in their periods. More than 25% of women have experienced these issues, making them feel uncomfortable.
Also, if the period is becoming very irregular, it is a red flag of significant hormone imbalances and bad reproductive health. However, it is also likely to affect your body in other ways, like swelling in the skin, cramps, weakness, and increase or decrease in weight.
You need to understand that facing this discomfort is not good. It would be best to take care of this by treating it as soon as possible. To avoid any complications, it is necessary to treat problems related to menstruation.
Significant Symptoms Of An Irregular Menstrual Cycle:-
Every girl should check if there is any difference in their periods from past times. You need to check which date your period starts and when it stops, which means the last day of the monthly period. You should review the irregularity in it. To help you with this, we have pointed out some of the significant symptoms of irregularity and disturbed menstruation.
- If you feel excessive bleeding in monthly periods, it is a point of concern. Check the days of heavy bleeding in the whole cycle.
- There is an issue if you are still getting periods after the end of menstruation ( menopause).
- It is a symptom if your periods are heavier than before and much longer. For example, if it is like your periods are happening for nine days other than five like usual.
- If you have your periods repeatedly, even after doing it once a month.
- If you have periods less than once in 40 days.
If these above are your symptoms, there is a requirement for treatment, but you should not worry. Ayurveda has been mentioned a lot of times about menstrual health. Ayurveda has aced the solution related to each problem of menstruation. And the best part of it is that it does not have any side effects, which makes Ayurveda a one-stop solution to treat the issues.
Ayurveda states that there are three types of doshas in the female’s body:- Vata, Kapha, and pitta. Ayurveda also tells which one is dominant at times, and you need to understand this to maintain a good and healthy lifestyle.
Ayurveda provides a piece of good knowledge about the reproductive system of females and the diseases and disorders related to it. It is a great help to get over the irregularity in periods, which is very natural.
There are many reasons why these menstruation issues happen,
- An irregular menstrual cycle can happen because of major conditional diseases like PolyCystic Ovarian syndrome and anaemia.
- Bad lifestyle
Ayurvedic Ways To Treat Irregular Menstrual Cycle:-
- Good eating habits:- Yes! This is one such change that can have a positive impact on your menstrual health and help treat various issues. Nowadays, as people are getting busier with each passing day, they eat mostly junk to save time because it is instantly available food. But do you think it is good for your health? No, it is not, because this bad eating habit can make you suffer a lot in health. It would be best if you did not enjoy the taste for your health. That is why Ayurveda says that one should always eat good food to treat your irregular menstrual cycle. By good, we mean a portion of food that is well-cooked and has all the necessary nutrients. Every female should eat a balanced diet rich in proteins and vitamins to make her body fit. If you have periods, then during those days, you should always eat light food to keep your digestive system working correctly, and then there will not be any acidity or gastric problem. During menstruation, try to avoid excessive sweets, non-veg like meat or chicken, too much salt, pickles, etc.
- Eat at a fixed time:- This is a short trip for you. Ayurveda mentioned that if a female doesn’t eat at regular intervals, it can cause fluctuations in the hormones. As we all know, hormones are related to the menstruation cycle. Therefore, one should always eat at fixed times which your daily schedule can decide.
- Do not stress:- Stress is a common enemy of everyone. Your mental health is somehow directly or indirectly related to your physical health. You may have heard the term that stress makes a person fat. Well! This is almost true because when you are going through a lot of mental trauma, pain, stress, anxiety, or depression, it affects your hormonal flow in the body. It causes imbalances that can surely disturb the menstrual cycle. So, to avoid it, one must always work more to stay calm even in difficult situations. You can at least reduce the time of tension by distracting yourself with other hobbies or spending time with family and friends more to keep you at peace.
- Use Asafoetida (Heeng):- It is a readily available way to treat your irregularity in periods. Heeng is widely used as one of the spices, and it also has tremendous benefits. It is well known to be used in abnormal digestive disorders, which is one reason for bad reproductive health. You can add heeng to your diet to maintain good digestive health. Well! Scientifically it is proven that Heeng can cure the Irregular menstrual cycle by maintaining the stimulation of progesterone ( a female hormone), which will increase the flow of blood and make the period regular.
- Hibiscus tea:- In Ayurveda, hibiscus is widely used in many other diseases, but here we will talk about its use in treating menstruation. Hibiscus flower has many medicinal properties, which are very good for a female’s reproductive health. It can be consumed and available as herbal tea in the market. You should purchase it from any genuine platform to keep its authenticity. It works magically as a tonic to treat the Irregular menstrual cycle.
There is one other way to have hibiscus, and it is by frying the flowers in ghee and then having it with lukewarm water.
- Turmeric:- Turmeric has excellent medicinal benefits, so it is a hero. It is a famous thing everywhere, not only in India but in outside countries too. But, Ayurveda already mentioned its beneficial properties many years ago before anyone else. Turmeric has fantastic antibiotic properties which is its significant advantage. A female who wants to regulate her periods should add a pinch of turmeric to the milk and drink it every night before sleeping. This will work to regularize your menstrual cycle gradually.
- Add pineapple to your diet:- Pineapple has the benefit of curing menstruation problems. It is a proven and readily available home remedy for irregular periods. This fruit has an enzyme called bromelain, which is very good in softening the uterus lining, and it will later regulate menstruation. One should always eat pineapple on alternative days to treat issues of the menstrual cycle.
- Cumin seeds:- Cumin is best for any issue related to menstruation in females. It is a well-known spice, and it has a bit of a hot effect on the body, which will be excellent and suitable for starting menstruation. You can add a tablespoon of cumin seeds to a glass of water and leave it overnight to soak. Next morning, after waking up, keep that glass of water with cumin seeds on the flame in a pan to let it boil. It would be best to boil it till the entire glass of water remains half glass only. Now take it in a glass and drink it slowly. It would be best if you had this cumin water every morning and that too empty stomach. This will maintain your menstrual cycle.
- Do exercise and practice yoga:- Ayurveda is incomplete without a conversation about yoga and exercises.
Your menstrual health is more related to your lifestyle, which means how you live and spend your day. You cannot compromise with it, so it is better to make yourself fit and healthy by making minor and productive changes in your daily routine. It is not just for the irregular menstrual cycle, but yoga has proved its benefits in every single disease. So, you should perform at least 40 minutes of exercise, and effective yoga poses to maintain good health.
Menstruation is a vital phase in a woman’s life, from adolescence to menopause. Hormonal changes during this time can lead to various developments in the body. Therefore, maintaining reproductive health becomes crucial, and irregularities should not be ignored. Ayurveda offers valuable insights into female reproductive systems and provides effective remedies for menstrual issues. In addition, understanding the dominant dosha (Vata, Kapha, or Pitta) helps maintain a healthy lifestyle.
If you’re experiencing irregularities in your menstrual cycle or facing any other issues related to your reproductive health, don’t hesitate to seek expert guidance. Our team of experienced Ayurvedic doctors at Svasthvida is here to help you achieve a balanced and healthy menstrual cycle.
With our personalized approach, we will thoroughly assess your condition and develop a tailored treatment plan using Ayurvedic principles.
Don’t let menstrual irregularities disrupt your life. Take charge of your health and book a consultation with our Ayurvedic experts today. Contact us at: